Monday, November 19, 2012

Post 14 (I´m kinda done with coming up with names)


This post is not an update but a story that I found very interesting.

On Friday in my economics class, a student and my teacher had what started as a conversation about the economy and what ended up as a debate about politics. This discussion lasted for 35 minutes and there I was all content about wasting time when my teacher asked me a question about US politics and economics. Just like that, I was now in this discussion. Somehow this ended up as a debate on communism. It was basically me versus my class and I am not even kidding, the kids from the sciences group (I am in the humanities and social sciences group) were now in my classroom circled around me and the few kids I was talking with.

After this, I go to my next class (which I am obviously very late to) and I am starting to think to myself that never have I ever in my life had a conversation about communism with positives included. In fact, I don’t think I have ever been taught in school the pros of communism, the only thing we learn is that it is bad and here are a few reasons why it doesn’t work. We talk about this a lot in my economics class about how capitalist the US is and this affirms it. I was talking to one of my friends during the next class about this and he told me that a lot of people in Spain are open to the idea of it and there are strong groups of communists all around Spain. I then explained to him that it is not illegal to believe in communism in the US but I think the general sense is just that you don’t verbalize it if you do (of course, I could be totally wrong about this whole thing, but this is my opinion and what I have observed throughout my life).

The point of me writing this post is because something as little as this was such an eye opening experience. I saw a whole new mentality and I was able to see something in a new light, from a new point of view.
This is really what being an exchange student is about. Yes, it is also about learning a new language and culture of your new country, but I think one of the most important things about going on exchange is being able to look at the world from the view of a different group and type of people, people who live their lives completely different than you do, where your normal is not so normal anymore. It is important to step outside of the box that living in the same place your whole life puts you in. Not to say that I have turned communist, but this is just a little example of how people from a different country think about things has opened my eyes and as my friend Claudia told me: “it is important to be more open minded”

Hasta Luego!
(JK, I´m ´bout to do another quick post:)

No comments:

Post a Comment